Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Why Reflection is Important: A Teacher's Clarity

I moved from Texas to New Mexico six months ago. I had been at my last school for eight years: coaching multiple academic teams: Future City, National Science Bowl, Academic Quiz Bowl. I worked nights and summer camps at the STEAM CENTER. I was busy. I taught at local, regional and state conferences. I was a planner and a doer. I was a relentless go and get it spirit. I burnt myself out. I could never allow myself to slow down- I was invested, rooted, persistent. But, I was happy. Run down and frazzled, but happy.

I have only taught at 4 schools. Spending many years at each. This being my 21st year. My first at my new school. I have been in the public sector- and it is where I plan to remain. But I did make the shift from large district to charter. Still considered public, but individually run and organized. It was a definite shock to the system at first. The procedures are different, the process and expectations in education are universal however. So it was more of a micro-shift rather than a macro-shift.

The biggest pivot has been the slow down. I am not a mentor/coach, there is not STEAM Center to dedicated my time to. I have a club, but we meet during our designated club times on Friday's (schoolwide). So for these last six months a sense of doldrum has set in. I feel lazy even though I am teaching high school and middle school- a huge shift and pushing myself in other ways. It is a rhythm shift- my cadence has slowed but my performance hasn't. My stamina is in overdrive, with no outlet. I feel like my wheels are spinning- splattering the mud. 

So I decided this last week to actively seek opportunities in my school that may present themselves. Get out there an find a way to share my passion for education, gifted education and mentorship. I put my ear to the ground and found several. I settled on taking on a major next year- EDUCATION- where high schoolers get college credit for following with a cohort a set of classes (basically AP) but we do not have AP at my school. I am trying to get a pronounced gifted program in place here on my campus and I am becoming a Peer mentor in the mentorship program here about future jobs in the field of education.

I needed something to spark my creativity and drive. I have been in a rut lately. But, I moved because I felt in a rut at my last school. I felt I had no place to go- administration is not for me. I need growth. I needed to find new growth opportunities. Thus, my relocation. Finally I am getting my footing and ideas have started flowing and opportunities often present themselves when we open ourselves up to new growth and change.

Reflection is very much a part of my wheelhouse- I journal and blog daily. I knew my kindle was not igniting and I knew I needed more material, more fuel. I think I have found it. I attended my first PAC meeting. I am on a team about school improvement and curriculum enhancement at my school. I have started planning my major curriculum and my first peer meeting is after spring break. So I am colliding into the groove once again. I miss my mentoring of science/academic endeavors but I think I need to slow things down a bit and focus on how I can bring about change. How my voice can inspire others.

This has been a lot of reflection but I finally feel more connected in my field. More driven with new experiences on the horizon. I have not encountered any of these new roles before and I am looking forward to finding out how they will change me. So off I go into the new horizons and I am feeling the tingle of a new outlook.


No comments:

Post a Comment

B.B.'s, Bunnies, and Rogue Tortillas

Schools don't have signs "122 days since our last incident" We have strange happenings every day.Some little, unnoticeable to ...