Saturday, September 1, 2018

Not Band-Aid's, Bubble Gum and Bonfires: What Students Need are Strategies that Work


As we are entering our classrooms this year, as we meet our students for the first time, we must pause and remember, that some students are eager to be there, and they are excited to learn something new. Others are excited to be there, and they are hopeful, that if everything goes okay, they might be able to keep up with the class. These students might have 504 or IEP paperwork or they might not. These students might be great listeners, they might be amazing adapters. Many of them can ‘fake’ their way through a multiple-choice test because they have a system. They do not necessarily comprehend the material, they simply piece-meal together bits of information- just enough to make it look like they understand it. How do I know this? I have Dyslexia and I did this exact thing, all throughout my early education.

These students have been told their whole lives that-

“You can do anything you put your mind to”
“If you keep trying, you can accomplish anything”
 “If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again”
“Believe in yourself and you can reach your every goal”
 “Practice makes perfect”

These statements are motivational to most, but they can also be disheartening or insulting to others. I know that doesn’t make sense- how can these optimistic, encouraging staples be anything but positive? When you struggle with learning, when it is so exhausting that every day you feel like you are dragging an anvil behind you. That you are slow to move, sluggish to comprehend, because you keep having to stop and tug on the rope, to inch that anvil forward, you do not want to hear something motivational you want to hear something helpful.

As a child I heard these assurances from my teachers every day- the only problem was- they didn’t guarantee that I would understand or process anything new. I am not a quitter. I persevere, I am constantly looking for a glimpse of comprehension. As hard as I try, as I stay determined to keep moving forward and concentrate with every ounce of my being- I miss things. I get lost. Even today as an adult, I lose my sense of direction, if you make me sit in a room and listen to you talk for a long period of time. The topic could be interesting, I could be invested and curious- but if you talk too long- you lose me. If you tell me to just sit still and pay attention and trust me I am already doing that, I will only get more frustrated, more deflated and well, I will pull away even more. But, if you show me what you want, demonstrate for me your process- I can conquer any hurdles. I am a visual and kinesthetic learner.

As a child, I was told to concentrate, if I just listened to directions, I would be able to do it. I was told to get to the point- ask my questions quickly. This was very difficult because that ‘point’ was not fixed, it jumped around like a laser pointer, being used to entertain a cat. You know the ones, red and bright, bouncing around the wall, the cute furry cat pawing at it with excitement. We have all seen the videos on You Tube. But, when that flickering, chaotic illumination is your thoughts, scattered and jumbled- it does not cause excitement, it leads to dread. To self-loathing, as adults are telling you, “you aren’t trying hard enough” and “don’t give up, you will get there if you just keep trying.” Unfortunately for those of us with learning disabilities, these words are hollow, we don’t need motivational frameworks we need useful ones.

I need to hear solid strategies. I need to feel patience, not just see it, but feel it. I do not need a band-aid, bubble gum, or a bonfire. In other words, I do not need a simple fix, a quick cure to something that is not damaged. I do not need a sugary sweet sentiment, or a big production number- large flames whipping the air letting everyone around me know I am struggling.

What I need, what every student needs, not just those with learning disabilities needs, but every student is CALM (Center, Alternatives, Listened to, Mindfulness. Being Dyslexic, I need to hear things and see things. Having two different mediums helps that intermittent, jouncing beam, become focused. In other words, it helps me see the point, internalize the point and add the point to my framework. I hope together, this post sparks in you, a sense of CALM so that every student can find their footing and a sharp pair of scissors to cut the rope and leave their anvil behind.



3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experiences in this Melissa. Really powerful message we all need to remember...educators in all settings everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing first person what it's like to be a student with learning disabilities. To me, class engagement and multi-strategy direct instruction is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You paint a picture right from the start and add depth and texture to it! Thanks for giving us a glimpse of how you see and how you learn! Very helpful as we think about our students and our peers!

    ReplyDelete

Mean Girls and Bully Pulpits (Seeing the Truth about School Dynamics)

I've been a teacher for a long time. Let's just say over two decades. In that time I've been a certified educator at a mere 4 sc...