Wednesday, July 22, 2020

The Importance of Accepting Critique and Yes, Criticism (204)

We all prefer to get positive feedback. Praise and accolades. We want to feel accepted, proud and appreciated. Yet, when we get critiqued, feedback and criticism (even if its productive and necessary)- we feel defensive. We feel like we are being judged. We are being judged in fact, but when the message we get is helpful, if it is thought-provoking- we tend to feel less slighted.

So I guess the delivery has a lot to do with it. As educators we provide a lot of feedback. Hopefully, it tends to be on the productive, purposeful scale. Students do not like criticism. Most adults don't. But, its a necessary part of growth and progress. If we are not given feedback to show us our sharp edges, we will not be able to sand them down and fit the learning (jigsaw pieces) into our schemata- our giant puzzle of knowledge.

I have been attending so much on-line PD these last few weeks, my mind is buzz buzz buzzing with information. I have to look over my notes, I have to decide which information, app, software, strategy is going to work for me and which ones will need some tweaking to be so. So I am in the gathering stage. But, after each PD- they ask for feedback. I know many people, as I have done in the past, just click all 5's and are done with it. But, I have made a goal of giving constructive feedback in the hopes I receive it in return.

Today I had a great back and forth in DM on Twitter with Matt Weiman- @MrWeiman about my recent post. I received very good feedback and it really got me thinking. I had to go back and look at my wording, my phrasing to make sure I was clear on my point-of-view. I wouldn't have known I needed to rethink my word choice unless he actually took the time to respond. AND, he did so in a constructive, positive way. Thank you Matt.

This all ties together yesterday's and today's posts- be kind. Share your ideas, be vocal and always be honest with a lot of grace and hope.


2 comments:

  1. This is a great blog post. Thank you for sharing.

    In my past life as an Operations Manager, we talked about feedback being a gift. The only way that we can grow is my understanding what our areas of opportunity are and then taking action on them. If we are not willing to accept feedback, then we are limiting our ability to grow.

    I am also a firm believer that a person needs to also be willing to give feedback. We need to build a level of trust first, but if we withhold feedback, we are limiting a person's opportunity to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best feedback is the kind that helps both parties grow. I liked your previous blog because it really got me thinking and helped me add to my philosophies. I enjoyed sharing some of those ideas with you.

    I liked your mention of the feedback "required" at the end of PD courses. I agree with Jeff, the "Math Guy," in that one must be willing or work at providing feedback. It is hard to word criticisms just right so that they are uplifting, even though they are pointing out something you may disagree with. I often find it difficult to leave creative feedback at the end of a PD session. Good luck with that!

    Thanks again for being such a great communicator and sharing your gifts with us.

    ReplyDelete

B.B.'s, Bunnies, and Rogue Tortillas

Schools don't have signs "122 days since our last incident" We have strange happenings every day.Some little, unnoticeable to ...