Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Mean Girls and Bully Pulpits (Seeing the Truth about School Dynamics)

I've been a teacher for a long time. Let's just say over two decades. In that time I've been a certified educator at a mere 4 schools. I tend to stay at a school for awhile- allowing the kinks and chasms to appear and discourage before I move on. My first campus was a rough campus, angry students, angry teachers- it took all our energy to keep behavior in check in order to teach at all. I stayed 5 years. Why? To fulfill my promise to myself- I became a teacher not for recognition or glory- but to do what's best for students. To inspire students. It was a 45 minute commute and we moved across town so, change number one. As tough as the student body could be, and as frustrated as staff was on a general basis- we treated each other with respect. Administration had our backs.

My second school was a school not of behavior issues from poverty or ambivalence, but one of privilege and entitlement. Actually, thinking back on it, I'm not sure which one was tougher. This school, one in which I stayed six years until I moved out-of-state, was exhausting. Overbearing parents, helicopter guardians and Gucci handbags. But, learning was happening and the staff was a lot more engaged in school community and functions. It felt more communal- it was more communal. The thing is- the administration was deceptive. They had their bubble and those in it- broke all the rules in an obvious way, and got away with it. Those not in the womb of administrative protection were heavily watched and criticized. It was a mean girls community and everyone knew it.

Then I started in a new state, in a new school that as I accepted the position- didn't look or feel like either, of my previous experiences. It was a much larger school, with a lot more pockets of mean girls- but due to the sheer expanse of the building and size of faculty meetings- it was easier to avoid them, which I did. I stayed to myself. But, I ventured out of my comfort zone and took on Future City Competition, Quiz Bowl among other extra-curricular academic clubs. It was being with students and mentoring them that made those eight years both happy and memorable. Administration was supportive- actively supportive for most of that time. Listening, acknowledging, helping and guiding. I was teaching at state and local conferences, teaching science summer camps for the district- it was very fulfilling. 

Eventually though- my passion for gifted education and the opportunity to really dive deep, inspire and guide my gifted students was halted. They changed the program and lessened opportunities to thrive. So I felt I needed to move somewhere where I was needed- where I could meet the needs of students. So again, I moved to another state. This school, I was hoping- because it is so different and unique in its curriculum, structure and design- would be unique in its teacher support and culture. But, alas, it isn't. It is the location of a mean girl and bully pulpit that I was shocked to see.

Of course there are teachers of every 'stereotype'- the lazy only do work when someone is watching, the over-achiever on the brink of burnout, the isolationist, the socialite, and unfortunately the mean girls. We all see them, know some of them. Maybe are one of them. The self-entitled, empowered teachers who are in the bubble. The one's who can scream and temper their way into a result. The one's who get away with anything- and know it. These teachers often stay to themselves and their coven. They are the easiest to avoid- the ones who fly away, cackling, broom setting them aloft- those are the ones you really need to watch out for.

They ambush, they stalk and strategize- they huddle- and with all gusto they attack. They break spirits, crush confidence and for no reason other than to be mean they are allowed - with administrators sitting by and listening- to scream and be completely unprofessional towards other teachers. I don't care who you are- if you are a teacher talking to a parent, student, teacher or anyone at a school you should be respectful and professional. AND administrators should never allow them to be any different. Ambushing someone is awful enough- not allowing them a word in edgewise but to say you are getting defensive and force them to sit quietly and take it. Unethical and unequitable. To me- the worst tragedy possible because you just lost my respect and trust.

This did not happen to me personally. But it feels like it did.


No comments:

Post a Comment

B.B.'s, Bunnies, and Rogue Tortillas

Schools don't have signs "122 days since our last incident" We have strange happenings every day.Some little, unnoticeable to ...