Friday, March 11, 2022

The Benefits of Cycling Students

Coming from a public school setting with 30-32 students in a classroom, trying to stay afloat, learning names was challenging but once you did- you knew these students all year. They stayed in your classroom growing and changing and by the end of the year- you got to see such a transformation. It was awesome.

These days at a charter school, things are different. Every 4 weeks high school changes term and every 8 weeks middle school changes quarters. So a new set of names (15-18) for five classes occurs more frequently. But, this year, my first in this style of organization- I have gotten many students multiple times. Along side many new students.

I miss the atmosphere of a year long course, but I value this style- flavors and choice, more like college. I value the pace, the variety of science topics/curriculum I get to teach. Biology, physics, astronomy etc. I appreciate the opportunity to get to know 6th graders, 7th graders and 8th-9th graders. The juxtaposition of energy of 6th graders and high schoolers.

Having both middle and high in a week week term makes things interesting. I really enjoy the small class sizes and cycling of students. Giving them choice of classes makes a difference- they feel like they have a voice and this is important. It creates buy in and interest. I might be losing out on the long-term relationships over 9 months- but in exchange- I have the opportunity of meeting so many students in our 900 student campus.

This is rewarding.


No comments:

Post a Comment

B.B.'s, Bunnies, and Rogue Tortillas

Schools don't have signs "122 days since our last incident" We have strange happenings every day.Some little, unnoticeable to ...