Friday, October 23, 2020

Level of Craftsmanship- Student Independence (298)

Independence can be granted. Gifted. But it also needs to be shaped, chiseled and edged. Carved and smoothed. 

It can be appreciated. Valued. Entrusted and used with such fervor, as to lead to new horizons. It sets new expectations and achieves such heights, unachievable with constraint. But it also, especially in a classroom, needs to be structured and maintained. There is a fine line between organized, purposeful chaos and unorganized, needless freedom.

At times independence needs to be reined in, halted even- albeit temporarily. For when we emphasize its value- it becomes priceless to students. It becomes a necessity. They covet it. In return they honor the privilege. If you remove it or pause it- you may be unpopular for a spell, but if you trust your instincts, return it with trust, they will believe in you. Students understand discipline- they secretly yearn for it.

I have flexible seating in my classroom. 

Sometimes, students nudge me into a corner, and I have to remove the flexibility for a bit. I get the eye rolls and an occasional foot stomp- but after they move to a new location- they resync with the class. 

They are no longer a drift. They feel a permanence they were lacking. They often can not put their finger on why they were misbehaving- but after their new location is forged, they find a newfound connection. You can see it in their eyes- a deeper sense of presence.

This week, as most, has felt uncertain. A ringing in our minds and ears an uneasiness. A lot of things in the world- ricocheting off the classroom walls. Leaving marks. Grooves noticeable, yet topics often unspoken. So, it is within reason to run into some behavior that mimics the dents and scratches of the turbulence.

The most important thing we can do as educators- is to pause. 

To pause our judgements, our frustrations, our impatience- and observe. Really take the time to stand aside and watch. To listen. To unravel the demons from the wonderful aspect of what we do. We became teachers to make a difference. Not just in learning, in academics in curriculum. But in the social, emotional and well-being of our students.

It is alright to call them out, privately. Not with shame but with compassion. Start by asking them- “How can I help you?”- “Is there something you need me to do to make this class more successful for you?”- “I am so very happy you are here, in our classroom, do you feel part of this classroom? If you do not- that is my fault and I apologize. What can I do to make sure you do feel a part of it?”

You will be amazed at the response. 

I said all of these to students this week. I saw their faces change from frustration, doubt, and uneasiness to a calm resolve, a level of awe in fact. These students needed to hear these words. They needed for me to make eye contact, smile beneath my mask, eye wrinkles squinched. They needed me to make the connection they were reluctant to make. 

and

I, I needed to make it too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

B.B.'s, Bunnies, and Rogue Tortillas

Schools don't have signs "122 days since our last incident" We have strange happenings every day.Some little, unnoticeable to ...