Sunday, January 9, 2022

A Thing About Monday's #9

It's hard coming back after a long weekend- even a regular Sunday can bring some anxiety. But after the holiday break it heightens- the level of disquiet. Especially when my classes are all new, students new, courses new. It is unsettling because I haven't met them yet. Every 4 weeks with high school and 8 weeks with middle school- I get new courses and new students. It makes me uneasy every time. This is my first year at a charter school and this configuration- so tonight I must say- I am fretting a bit.

We are a Google Classroom design- so almost all of our assignments are electronic. Everything we do is in the virtual realm for every student to see. It is also of course activities and interactive learning in the classroom. The two are in place for those who are absent and for those in attendance. But when they are in class- we are very hands-on- I love not having to print things very often- Google documents are a great alternative. 

I believe in a blended design- both intertwined. So I have the days organized in Google and then tweak day to day as I need to. So the plans are flexible but in place- so I am not sure why I fret so much. But I do. I am used to having the same students all year and this- this charter school model I find myself in- is unnerving.

So this term- Evolution to high school a course called Deep Time and Thermodynamics to middle schoolers called Thermodynamics of the Flash. Excited about the content for my classes. Eager to meet my new students. But my head is full of ideas and strategies and it is hard to calm my mind. 

It happens every Sunday but this Sunday- tonight- my mind feels especially overloaded. I want to make sure the first day impressions are good- but also with the high school courses - I need to jump right in because 4 weeks is not a lot of time to hit all the curriculum standards. 

So there it is- A thing about Monday's. But, I think you get it. Educators fret. Educators overthink- over plan and over indulge our minds as we race through the events of tomorrow. I am going to drink my hot tea and eat my warm cookie and try my best to relax before I head off to slumber. I know it will be alright- I've been doing this for twenty years. And yet, the gnawing and worry will keep its hold for a while. 

To every educator who gets a bit unnerved and stressed before a new term- I salute you. Because I know you will go in there tomorrow and just rock your students world. That's what we do right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

B.B.'s, Bunnies, and Rogue Tortillas

Schools don't have signs "122 days since our last incident" We have strange happenings every day.Some little, unnoticeable to ...