Thursday, December 3, 2020

When You Listen, You Hear Amazing Things (338)

This week was a cold one here in Houston. Chilly outside. It feels like autumn, finally. As we came back from a week off for Thanksgiving, students were eager to settle back into a routine. It is undeniable- students like to be in school for many reasons: social interaction, attention from teachers and as with all of us, a sense of belonging.

When you listen, you hear amazing things. You really do. I am not a desk sitter. I am a wanderer. I am very stealthy. I sit down sometimes at tables, join conversations. But, I also just aimlessly walk around, appearing to be focused on "doing teacher things" as my students call it. In actuality, I am "doing teacher things-" just not the teacher things they think I am.

I am a listener and a watcher. I can gauge the level of understanding just by a facial expression. Most teachers can do this of course. It is instinct. It is an energy that tickles us, taps us on the shoulder consistently. It is a whisper in our ear throughout the day- it directs us, steers us, makes us aware.

It is how we become educators. This skill of recognition. 

This week, with most every week, I listened, I gauged. I gave them time to interact, work independently and problem-solve and this allowed me to check the temperature- it was chilly outside, but inside it was warm and cozy.

I wrote down some of the things I heard.

"I am afraid to get Covid, but coming to school to me is more important."

"I wouldn't want to stay home, I don't learn well on-line, I need people."

"I can't wait to have Christmas break- I get to go to Florida."

"My brother just tested positive, he has to quarantine in Boston."

"I like being able to be in the classroom, even with having to wear a mask all day."

Needless to say a lot of the conversations during independent work time centered around Covid. But, when they were problem-solving and investigating together- I also heard some insightful and encouraging things.

"I like these types of assignments- you are having fun and forget they are a grade."

"Science is fun, we get to figure things out, I like to figure things out."

"No homework tonight, I got it done in class- whew! I appreciate the time to do that."

"Masks are annoying, but worth it. Worth it to be able to keep coming to school."

"Mrs. CJ, when do we get to dissect frogs?  I am totally psyched to do that."

I love it when students are truly excited to learn. Not all lessons can be bells and whistles, but we can adapt, many more to be- to be a hum at least, right? We can make sure that we give time for them to collaborate in breakout rooms, or at brick and mortar tables. We can make sure we ask them how they want to learn things.

I love to listen and observe, but I also love to survey and ask lots of questions too. I asked my students- During this stressful time, how can I help make learning important to you? This is how my virtual students and my face to face students responded.

"Make it relevant to what is happening, the best you can at least."

"Less is more, less leaves room for more, just more time to investigate."

"Thank you for not assigning homework."

"Details and specifics- these help me stay focused on-line."

"Reminders and checklists"

"I am getting overwhelmed with all my virtual classes, can we go asynchronous a few days a month?"

"I am thankful for the time to get my work done in class."

"I appreciate your positivity- everyone is feeling a bit of stress."

I think above all else, staying positive matters. When we put on a smile and give out joy like candy on Halloween, it makes a difference. When we forgive tardiness, forgive late assignments, welcome ideas on which to makes things better for struggling students- we make a huge difference in their learning. 

My new motto: Penalties are necessary on occasion- compassion is necessary always.

Starting out every morning as a beginner helps us see things from their perspective. They are children, they are struggling emotionally, we need to give them grace. We need to give them time. We need to give them room- to stretch in whatever direction they need to- in order to persist and propel.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment

B.B.'s, Bunnies, and Rogue Tortillas

Schools don't have signs "122 days since our last incident" We have strange happenings every day.Some little, unnoticeable to ...