Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Rider and Elephant (365)

I read everyday. Social Science books, Psychology books, Education books. I edge in some fiction too, I absolutely love Ernest Cline. I have a lot of books, shelves and shelves of books, and the count is growing daily. I buy more before I have read the last batch. I guess it is an obsession- because I like them as a reference. I like to learn new things and then I try to see if any of them are purposeful and relevant to my classroom.

Some aren't. They are broad and theory based. Some are based on mindfulness or self-reflection. This helps me in my quest for awareness and growth, but not fully in my classroom design. But they all help me realize things. They help me see the complex world as just that- complex. Not cruel outright. Not pitted against me. Not easy or designed to make my life purposeful- that is me.

I am reading a book about a Rider and an Elephant. More details to come in my future writings but for today, I will share the basic idea. We all have a rider- the part of our minds that steer us, guide us, see the big picture. The one who can make rational choices if given time and reasoning. But we also sit a top an elephant. Gentle and beautiful and generally compliant with our riders decisions.

But the elephant is full of emotion. Full of, at times, frustration and withdrawal. But also full of kindness, empathy and generosity. We often live our lives with our elephants willingly taking us where we need to go. It is our emotional side. But it can lead us astray just as fast. It can suffer from choice paralysis, it can run away from opportunity because of ambiguity. We need our elephant and rider on the same page. But we do not always achieve this.

In 2021 I am going to write. Write a lot. Not to blog them out necessarily, but to write chapters of books I need to finish. I will also write my blog but focus less on daily posts. 366 this year, I must say was a bit daunting. I wrote then forgot to post some days. But I wrote every day a blog post and one got posted for every day in 2020. 

But instead of #EduBlogYear my new # is #2021Write52. This means weekly so less constricted. I already feel the weight being lifted. My elephant tends to win- when I say I will do something- if it is up to me, if it is possible and in my hands, I do it.

So in 2021 my focus is on my rider and my elephant. Making things less ambiguous and more focused. Using my energy to improve, gain knowledge and apply. To share specifics rather than generalities. By using these last 5 months of the school year to continue to help my students be self-thinkers, self-actualizers, self-healers and self-go-getters. 

In 2021 I am not going to set goals or achievements- but script a doable plan. A flexible and structured plan. A self-paced map I can choose my own roads and climbs on a daily basis. Set a beginning and an end and make sure the middle is unscripted because the middle is bound to change- I have no control over that. 

But if I have a scripted plan,  I can start on my journey strong. I can keep my intentions clear, so my elephant and rider know where we are going. I need to eliminate the ambiguity of my own actions. Life is full of unpredictability- but my intentions need to be free of ambiguity. Flexible and adjustable but clear and concise. Too many choices can lead to action paralysis. 

After my script is written (daily, weekly, monthly) depending on need- I will relax and enjoy the scenery because man is there going to be a lot of beautiful scenery. This is my 'big picture moment' the rest, the details- those will unfold and I will accept my path. I will write about it. I will share my ideas to anyone who will listen. This is the way as any Mandalorian will tell you. This is the way. 

Find your way. Find your balance and the rider and elephant will make sure you reach it. All you need to do is trust yourself. Minimalize distractions and start your journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

B.B.'s, Bunnies, and Rogue Tortillas

Schools don't have signs "122 days since our last incident" We have strange happenings every day.Some little, unnoticeable to ...