Thursday, November 26, 2020

Masters of None (331)

Experts, expertise, master, master craftsman, unrivalled, unparalleled. Quintessential, unequivocal, perfection. When I hear these words before they describe someone, anyone in any field- I pause. It actually makes me wonder why anyone would want to be introduced by turn of phrase- or audible description- with these monikers. These seem to me, to be words spoken, at the end of someone's career. The penultimate description of a life well lived.

But they are used more during a career and throughout a person's life than near their completion. It perplexes me. I know things. Quite a few actually. Not just from being well read- which I am. Only by the sheer volume of books and articles, newspapers, research and the like. Not because I am expert- but because of the mere action of reading. Well read not being a moniker of anything other than the act of opening a book and taking the time to read it.

Masters are those who put in hours of practice. They are dedicated. They rehearse. Watch their performances and critique themselves on a daily basis- either alone or with the help of a mentor. They listen to criticism- as harsh as it may be. But they believe that the process of becoming great is based around the recognition of lacking something. Always needing to get better. This sounds to me, like a lot of educators.

Master craftsman do not construct one thing in their lifetime. Nor do they sit down and create the perfect building or sculpture in one go. It again is a process, arduous and painstakingly honest. For if corrections are not made and failures in judgement not recognized and addressed- buildings collapse and sculptures topple. So again, it is a moniker placed upon, rather then acquired and given oneself. At least for most.

Now unrivalled and unparalleled - these are words of strength and confidence, no doubt. But I would make a guess that most circumstances and actors, in the field of any- that there is a rival and a parallel situation that arises beside. 

Our civilization has evolved and strengthened from just that. Competition and the quest for something better, stronger, faster. So I suppose that quintessential and unequivocal are terms necessary to keep the momentum of growth and purpose thriving. But those words tend to describe events not people. At least in my experience.

I suppose when I look back on my twenty year career- I have grown- only to branch out and need more water and nutrients, to fulfill my flourishing. I continue to believe that I am 'in progress' rather than deep rooted in success. This is not to say that I do not understand, that I have had great purpose and meaningful years of teaching. I have learned from so many educators- about myself and my strengths and of course my deficiencies. But I think above all else, that the biggest lesson I learned- was not to take myself or my role so seriously.

I am one of millions. I am a small fish indeed, in an ocean so vast, that the food chains are no longer identifiable. 

I strive to become larger, more significant, but evolution does not happen that way. Small fish do not spontaneously, even with centuries of effort, become large ones. They must instead, learn to thrive within their own means. They must hone in on their survival skills. Every organism has their adaptations- we as educators do as well.

Masters' of none is not a derogatory description but a hopeful decree. 

One where no matter our experience, our value is not based on what others believe is expertise. 

Instead it is a call to arms. A mantra for the crusade of better. Let all of us, in every aspect of our amazing profession, find our groove and continue to grow. Create a place where set backs are never negative. Where isolation is never accepted. Where we focus not on our wins or our loses- but our legions of soldiers- gathering on the fields of battle.

Our students, each a general in their own right. Each a leader. Each a strategist. Each a defender of their own knowledge. 

The maps we provide them will allow them to maneuver past the traps and distractions. The arsenal we allow them to forge, will allow them to create their own plan- their own defense. We are merely the voice of reason, the flare upon which they gaze, and gain perspective and their sense of direction. 

If we come to terms with the fact that we are not the general, nor the cadence from which they choose their marching stride- we will be able to see ourselves as the masters' of none. Instead we will accept our roles as jacks of all trades, tinkerers, heralds, luminaries and yes, pioneers. But with these monikers comes great responsibility- great humility and great craftmanship- because our profession is changing so rapidly- it will take great patience to remain stalwart and steadfast. 

Accept it, own it, Look it in the eye and say hello- for what we knew- is now what we need to figure out and this is alright- it helps us stay on the path to nowhere- because the rest stops and side trips along the way are what truly make this a journey of mastership. Being a master of none leaves the doors open and windows ajar for new ideas to linger in and for our mindsets to accept them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

B.B.'s, Bunnies, and Rogue Tortillas

Schools don't have signs "122 days since our last incident" We have strange happenings every day.Some little, unnoticeable to ...