Friday, May 29, 2020

How Using Personal Introduction Letter's Can Change Team Dynamics (150)

Why TEAM is a Cringe Worthy Term for Many Students

We all get stressed a bit, when we are asked to work on a team. Students do too. In fact, if you ask students, as I did, their thoughts on working in a team, they will tell you the unabashed truth- they hate it. Now some like the social aspect it offers, but the work being divvied up, they cringe at the thought of it. Why?

Is it because there is always that person, you know the one- who doesn't do their work on time, or at all? Leaving it for the other team members to complete. Is it that there is always a disagreeable team member (not a team player)? 

Is it because they are often put into groups they would not have chosen? I could go on and on and on. Basically, students dislike teamwork, for the same reasons, we as adults dislike group dynamics.

As Adam Grant explains in his book,  Give and Take: Why Helping Others Drives our Success, there are three types of personalities traits, when it comes to generosity. Givers, matchers and takers. Simply put- givers, look for ways to be generous, they help others relentlessly, sometimes at the detriment of their own work. 

But, in the end, we all want to be around givers, so they do build some stable and meaningful relationships and connections.

Matchers look for reciprocal relationships- they give but they kind of expect something in return. This, Adam Grant, tells us is the most common dynamic. Takers, well, they take more than they give. They manipulate, they are hyper focused on themselves, and burn a lot of bridges, by their selfish actions. 

We have all known a taker. Their mark has been blazoned into our psyche.

How To Help Students make Teams more Productive

So, if we know not only these personality, generosity types- but extrovert vs. introvert, pleaser vs self-interestor and mindful vs ornery- we have a volatile and fluid situation, every time we are put into groups. 

Even when we choose our own, we are not always sound decision makers- as we can choose friendship over efficiency.

I was listening to the Armchair Expert Podcast with Dax Shepard and Monica Padman. It is a fantastic podcast because it is about everything in the social-sciences and beyond. It has amazing interviews. 

Anyway, so I was listening to the episode with Adam Grant and they were discussing his book Give and Take. But they were also delving into, why teams don't always work.

Dax said something fascinating- something I have been doing on a minute scale with my students. But now after hearing this podcast- my plan is to go more in depth and personal, with my students. Personal letters of intent. 

Then and Moving Forward

I was using calling cards. Simple business card style introduction cards, to get to know one another. To find classmates that have common interests and learning styles. Students were sharing their attributes, to find the best partners for the class.



But a letter of intent sounds more meaningful and thorough. If I have them write responses to five questions. They used three questions, in the podcast- I wrote five to be more specific for junior high students.  Maybe, teams will be more meaningful and purposeful. Maybe students will appreciate having an opportunity to collaborate.

I think these questions might help my students work better in a team. These will guide the team members to a more cohesive dynamic. Help them learn strategies in order to cooperate and cope with the idiosyncrasies of one another. 

1-      What things make you shut down when you are working on a team?
2-      What do you need from a leader?
3-      What things will inspire you on a team, how do you get motivated?
4-      Are you a giver, matcher, or taker?
5-      Why is working in a team so important?

If students could read these letters, the introduction to the group, at the beginning of a team project, imagine what obstacles they could avoid. If they knew, which students needed which task. They could make sure everyone was given a task best suited for them.

If they knew what type of leadership the team needed, the right person could take the reigns. They would have an easier time staying on schedule and motivated. It is something so simple. If they are talking about efficiency, they can make sure they use strategies that will help them be efficient. 

A little time upfront, will avoid delay on the back end.

Teamwork is inevitable. It is a necessary mode of production and learning. You cannot avoid it. But if leaders could get a sense of their team dynamics early- maybe they could set into motion a more successful team from the get-go. Every team has a natural leader- reluctant or elected. But, if these leaders had a framework on design and function of their team, they could enhance performance.

Understanding My Own Needs, Will Make Me a Better Team Member

So, I looked at these questions and answered them for myself and I found out a few things I didn't know about myself. Writing them down, helped me see the potholes and molehills, that lead me astray when working in a team.

1-Not having clear directions. I need to know what is expected- the bottom line, then I like to have the room to design accordingly. When I don’t have a sense of flow, it stresses me out. Also, too many hands in the cookie jar, too many opinions, distracts me from the process.

2-I need a leader to ask questions. Help me find purpose in my decisions and see the big picture. If they have a solid path, a clear end product- then I can get there on my own. I also like feedback- don’t just tell me ‘great job’ be specific and give me honest critique.

I prefer not to lead directly. But, I will reluctantly. I am such a crowd-minded doer and thinker, (so many thoughts at one time, I change things on a dime, this frustrates people). I find it hard to explain my reasoning- I am better at motivating not leading.

3-Open-mindedness. I like teams that allow time for honest discussion before we start. To make sure everyone understands the purpose, process, and problem. Then the freedom to take risks and try new approaches, with check-in’s and progress reports (sit reps).

4-I am a giver at certain times yes, I am generous with my time. But I am more often than not a matcher because, honestly, I do look for something in return- feedback, equal investment in a group member and appreciation. I wish I could say gratitude didn’t matter to me, but it does. I get frustrated when my efforts go unnoticed or unvalued.

6-Every great invention, engineering feat, modern marvel, medical breakthrough- took a team. Teams are how things get accomplished and we need to figure out how to work together to solve the worlds problems. We will not always be able to choose our team. Nor will we always, pick an efficient one. But we need to pivot and adapt to the circumstances. Teams are one way we do that.


What about you?



No comments:

Post a Comment

B.B.'s, Bunnies, and Rogue Tortillas

Schools don't have signs "122 days since our last incident" We have strange happenings every day.Some little, unnoticeable to ...