Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Getting the Wiggles Out (140)

We always let our kids, run outside and play. In elementary school we have recess. We have brain breaks in class, so students can have a moment, to refocus and let the energy out. We know kids need time to let out their pent up energy. But, why don't we allow adults to do this too.

When we are focused on one thing for an extended period of time- our brains tire. We feel distracted or bored. We need to get up and walk around, grab a snack, have a conversation with someone else other than ourselves. We get the wiggles too.

Anxiety is the energy we coop up inside of us. It a rumble, a vibration, of this lack of cohesion of thought. Its like energy, about to rupture out, we get tense, we get hyper-focused on negative thoughts. Our wires get crossed. We sometimes, just need to let the wiggles out.

We need a release, of the overload, in order to find coherence and creativity. Have you ever been just irritated at something around you- nothing specific, maybe even the empty space? It makes you feel swallowed, stifled, unmotivated. You feel tired. Energy flow is foggy and stunted.

We have to vacillate our thoughts. We all have blind spots that narrow our view, but if we alter our position, weigh our emotions, we can try to keep the flow of energy fresh. During times of stress, we get entangled in FOMO and comparative experiences, and our inner voice gets overpowered, by our need to be connected.

We collect data from the outside world, we use it as evidence inside, to make choices. Evidence is personal processing. Wisdom, is our interpretation of the evidence and using it in a productive way. This often gets muddled, when we are bored, stressed and melancholy. All effects of isolation and quarantine.

Data is essential though, in order for us to interpret the evidence we collect. Lots of data. The wiggles act like a nervous tick, misdirecting us. But once we get away from our devices, walk outside, exercise, meditate, call a friend or family member- we start to let the wiggles out.

We settle. Like the drudge sinking below the clutter. Resting beneath our clarity. When we do this. Patterns emerge, our data stream runs faster. We see things we have been missing. We accept things with less irritability, because we are more focused and calm.

How we manage this energy- whether we are extroverted or introverted, is physiological. How we process information is neurological. How we breathe, move, and rest is biological. But we can't do any of them well, if we don't take time to let the wiggles out.

I let the wiggles out by doing these few rituals every day. I am sure you have your routine as well. But, as with me, I know sometimes you get too busy to take the time to do them properly. I have to remind myself sometimes to do them, especially this week as my school year is ending and there is a lot of tedious tasks to complete before Thursday.

- have a cup of tea
- meditate for ten minutes
-read a chapter of a great book
-laugh with my ten year old
-read positive Tweets or Facebook posts
-ask myself, what is good about today?
- take a walk around the block (at least)
-eat a snack I love- just a little gift to myself
-listen to a song that gets me up an moving, dancing and singing, remembering the joy of music
-write my daily blog post
-color the daily picture on Happy Color on my phone

If I do this list and need more inspiration

-listen to the podcast next on my list
-read some of the science magazines I get in the mail
-sit outside and just listen
-play board games with my family
-write at least 500 words of one of my projects
-sit completely still, close my eyes, and just think
-a bit of yoga
-color more pictures on Happy Color on my phone

I find lists important. Its how I organize my chaotic brain. I need a center and lists and rituals are the only way I can let the wiggles out. Reminders to stretch my mind and my body. Wiggles are vibrations of energy, trapped. If I don't release it, my brain vibrates and my body squirms. So taking the time to stay organized and release the daily bobbles and wobbles is essential for me to stay healthy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

B.B.'s, Bunnies, and Rogue Tortillas

Schools don't have signs "122 days since our last incident" We have strange happenings every day.Some little, unnoticeable to ...