Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Something About Letting Yourself Imagine the Worst, is Comforting (105)

It's a mind bender. This situation. What to expect. How to respond. What to watch. What not to watch. What to read. What not to read. My mind is overwhelmed. My body tired from the anxiety. Even the strongest of wills, in my family, my husband, is showing signs of despair.

I find that if I sit quietly and meditate. Imagine the worst scenario. Take it all in. I feel better.

For fifteen minutes a day- I let myself panic. Think of all the what if's, the it's inevitable's, the I have no control over anything's, the I am allowed to feel sorry for myself's. Then I put them to bed. It is the only way I can remain mindful.

Mindfulness is awareness. But also, coping, staying calm, responding not reacting. Finding your center, staying focused, believing in yourself. It is searching inside of you, for the strength to carry on, even though you feel like crawling under the covers and cowering to the depression.

There is something comforting in the fifteen minutes of worst cast imaginable, I let myself embody every morning. After the time span ends- I see the world in much more light. The shadows of uncertainty, seem farther away. I find solutions to my doldrums.

Things are precarious. They are scary. But, they are manageable. My family is with me. I have supplies, electricity, Internet. I have books to read. Games to play. I have ways to entertain myself. Things suck, for real. But, for me, they don't. Not really.

So if I can imagine the worst- then switch my thinking to the actual, the present, coping seems very doable. Choose your outlook- it is 100% yours. Happiness, joy, contentedness- all you.

So allow yourself to see the scary, just for a few minutes- 15 minutes a day, then meditate and clear it from your mind. See the reality of things- and the comfort will find you.

1 comment:

  1. A while ago I wondered why the genre of "Horror Movie" was so popular. I never liked being scared out of my wits. I like my wits. So, why do other people love this genre?

    As is my custom, I did a little research, and come to find out, dopamine is released during extreme fear situations. It seems your body gives you some adrenaline to deal with the anxiety.

    I love your idea, Melissa! Fifteen minutes of "structured-see-the-worst" time could provide a pressure valve for emotionally charged individuals. Release some of those negative ions.

    "Horror has always acted as an outlet for our fears. In this time of extreme anxiety, is it really any wonder that horror movies do so well?" (Michael Tauberg, from https://medium.com/swlh/dopamine-and-the-horror-renaissance-351d4c0b38ef)

    ReplyDelete

B.B.'s, Bunnies, and Rogue Tortillas

Schools don't have signs "122 days since our last incident" We have strange happenings every day.Some little, unnoticeable to ...