Sunday, April 12, 2020

Eggs, Eggo's and Ego's (103)

It's Easter and my youngest is ten. Last year we had an Easter egg hunt. He was not overly excited, in fact his words, "Why do I have to find them?" So this year I gave him an option. He is ten, a mature ten, and I asked -"How would you like to celebrate Easter this year?" His response, a Nintendo DS game instead of an Easter basket and some family board games."

So dyeing eggs and hiding them in bushes, Easter basket packing, is over in my family. We are now a board game, egg shaped Eggo waffle family. I think being cooped up inside doesn't inspire bunny rabbits and peeps. Not anymore. I am kind of sad. All my boys have now outgrown a lot of the celebratory wonder of childhood.

But, with quarantine comes new traditions. I think family board games is a great idea. We also decided not to make the huge dinner- ham, green bean casserole, etc. We opted for a more simple manner of edible delights. Irish brats and home-made sausage stuffing. We make it as a family. Hand-cut LA Bakery bread, awesome fresh herbs and sausage. It's awesome.

I used to make sure every detail of our holidays were perfect. The perfect wrapping, ornate stockings, hand woven baskets with the perfect treats- but this Easter, I know it is now more about family than fanfare. A video game he can enjoy for days is more important than a basket of hard-boiled eggs and chocolate bunnies.

My ego took a bit of a vacation this year. I also learned my youngest is not so young anymore "I'm double-digits mom, I don't need the baby stuff anymore." I gotta be honest- it stung a little. But, time passes, we grow and change, our ego's settle into the reality of our age.

As long as I get to spend time with my children today, it's kind of built in, they literally have no where to go, I am happy.

Happy Easter 2020, a day of ego realizations, the absence of eggs and the addition of a wonderful breakfast tradition- Kellogg's brand Eggo.- cut into egg shaped perfections.

In fact, my family stood around the toaster- and as the first one popped up in unison- we all chimed, "Let go of my Eggo." I retorted, "We got plenty, let's play a board game and eat waffles- Happy Easter CJ's."

No comments:

Post a Comment

B.B.'s, Bunnies, and Rogue Tortillas

Schools don't have signs "122 days since our last incident" We have strange happenings every day.Some little, unnoticeable to ...