Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Previously On.... (56)

Previously On...

I need a recap after I have gone a week without an episode of a show. I am so used to binge watching on Netflix and Hulu, and Amazon, it's weird to have to go a week or more without an installment. So those previously on...segments are useful.

In class, I have little mini-catch-up's too. Previously on's. Where we recap our mindfulness lesson or what we did yesterday, so we can create the bridge- put another piece in the jigsaw- add to the big picture.

If we forget the subtle moments, we often miss the wow! moments - the big reveal. After a week off of a show, I find myself saying "When did we learn he did that, or she said that to him?" I get lost in the story when I lose the thread. Serial shows are very much a part of our television repertoire.

In class these same serial, episodic topics need the thread- previously on's are a way to sew up loose ends. We all hate a show that ends with a needless cliff hanger, especially when it gets cancelled. Now a suspenseful hook, we love those. They have purpose.

I know, I know- this seems silly to even mention right? You are thinking to yourself, "state the obvious right now. Why are you telling me this, do you think I don't know what I'm doing?"

Let me say this. I know you know what you are doing as an educator. You are an amazing teacher. This is simply a reminder to pause after the end credits. Don't let the next installment automatically load.

Its a feature I love about Netflix, Hulu and Amazon. The seamless transition from end, to the beginning. The websites skip the adverts and jump right in, to where we left off. We as adults can make the leap- our student's however, need the recap.

Skipping the Adverts

So our minds often default to this, skipping the adverts, in class too. I know mine does sometimes. I find myself switching topics rapidly, assuming my students held on to the thread. Sometimes they do, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

I find the adverts can be useful. A quick burst of - "You definitely need this product, or This is the Droid You are Looking For," does the trick. A little louder of voice, a visual stimulus, maybe a song. Something to trigger the mind to release and re-engage. Minus the urge to wash our clothes in Tide.

Adverts are quick. So why do we skip them in class. On television I get it. I find them annoying and actually pay more per service to skip them. But in class, nothing is free, especially time- so if we don't pause and allow for the adverts- we often have to re-teach. Thus lose time. Play the advert and save time.

Next Time On...

My Blog Writing....  biome speed dating and biome 3D lanterns a fun way to differentiate biome projects.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Mean Girls and Bully Pulpits (Seeing the Truth about School Dynamics)

I've been a teacher for a long time. Let's just say over two decades. In that time I've been a certified educator at a mere 4 sc...