Monday, July 30, 2018

Welcome Letters: Creating Relationships with Parents Early


A few weeks before school starts every year, I send out a welcome letter to parents. I introduce myself, share our classroom design and let parents know my philosophy of teaching and how our student-centered classroom operates. I also make sure to tell them about our flexible seating and give them a copy of the department syllabus. I make it clear that I am a mindful teacher and that we will be utilizing these strategies in class. I like to send it two weeks before school, because this gives parents plenty of time to ask questions, tell me about any concerns they may have and think about adding some donations to our classroom makerspace and design.

Some years, I get no responses from parents and some donations arrive with their children. Some years I get a lot of emails about how I taught their other children and maybe how they have heard about my classroom from other parents. I have never received a negative email. But, I do at times get some from parents who are concerned about flexible seating, whose child may have learning difficulties, or who feel it is too liberal. I absolutely love when parents ask questions, I would like to be on the same page before school starts. Our open house is a month into school and the Blast-student day occurs, when we are having teacher meetings during pre-planning. Sending out a welcome letter lets them know instantly that I like communication and that I am transparent about our classroom design and expectations.

I sent out this years letter this morning. Attached was a wish list for our makerspace, with the caveat that it was not mandatory but would be greatly appreciated. I also attached a syllabus, so parents could see our curriculum and pacing guide. This way they know what to expect. Now, parents do not have schedules yet for next year, so this stirs up some excitement that they are beginning to get emails from their teachers. Today already, I have received 8 responses three from parents of former students excited that I get to teach their younger children. All offering donations to the makerspace, therefore, asking is so important. Parents want to help, they just need to know how. The last, was from a parent concerned about the rigor, her daughter has ADHD and struggles with a fast pace.

I emailed the concerned back immediately, letting her know that her daughter will get all the help she needs. I told her that I have Dyslexia and my son has ADHD and Autism and I am very aware of the needs of my students. That we have 1-minute check ins weekly, to keep a consistent communication going and that we also have student led remediation and enrichment circles, where students mentor one another and that I am always present to listen and help students whenever necessary. We are required, a district policy to explain our late work policy on the syllabus, this freaked her out a bit, it is 25% a day late and after a day no credit. But, I am much more flexible, I explained. I always accept late work and offer purposeful extra credit, this eased her mind. If I hadn’t heard from her, I never would have known. This is the importance of purposeful and meaningful welcome letters.

I do not send a welcome letter for any other reason than to be transparent and completely honest about my student-centered classroom, before school starts. If they know my expectations, there will be no surprises. I appreciate the positive email today- they made my day for sure. But, I very much appreciate the emails where parents ask questions and I can build a rapport early. This lets me get to know parents and hear about their children, so by the first day of school, I can greet them at the door and say, “I enjoyed hearing from your mother or father.” This lets them know their parents and me, are on the same page. I highly recommend welcome emails or letters. It sets the tone for the year and with 152 students this year, between 5 gifted classes and 1 academic class, this will make a huge impact on relationship building and letting parents know they are part of the learning environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

B.B.'s, Bunnies, and Rogue Tortillas

Schools don't have signs "122 days since our last incident" We have strange happenings every day.Some little, unnoticeable to ...