Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Cheat Sheets: Yes or No (351)

This is the time of year for final exams. Most teachers do not allow any type of cheat sheet for their students. Several years ago I allowed students to use a note card, then I expanded it to a sheet of notebook paper. I have found that when you call it a cheat sheet- it makes it more appealing. They actually make one. 

Then they write super small and take copious notes. They try to use every inch of the paper. They organize them, color code them- even draw graphs and diagrams. I allow them to add anything as long as it is drawn or written by their hand. No typing and no printing of things to attach.

Most students work so hard on their cheat sheet- they never need it on the final. Plus this year with virtual classes and face to face classes- I find it a solve to actual cheating. I only use them for final exams- not for quizzes or unit tests. But students know there are cumulative finals- so they start making them early.

Students do better on the final. They slow down and pay better attention and they spend quite a while making their cheat sheets- which is studying indeed. So for me a giant yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

B.B.'s, Bunnies, and Rogue Tortillas

Schools don't have signs "122 days since our last incident" We have strange happenings every day.Some little, unnoticeable to ...