Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Why Breakout Rooms are Important (343)

Many teachers fear them, "How can I monitor six-eight breakout rooms at once?" or "It's to confusing," is what most responses are- when I ask teachers who teach virtual only or both virtual and face to face classes. I teach both and even split. We have interactive group lessons in class, and I find it very important for virtual students to experience similar lessons.

So I use breakout rooms about once a week. Some classes do not like them- I have a large group of introverts. BUT, if I give them an activity that requires solving a problem or investigating something they actually have some fun. I find it has to be purposeful. They need specific directions. They need a leader. They need a flow, a goal- or they will retreat. 

They may sit in a breakout room and only participate with the chat. But, if you get them interacting - give them a clear reason to discuss- they will. Now having said this some of my groups still are quite quiet- but they share a screen or are conversing via chat. This is important too. Not everyone needs to speak- they just need to participate.

Monitoring can be a challenge at first. But, I have used them enough- I trust my students. I know that they will complete the assignments and when I pop in to their room- they are always interacting in some way about the lesson. I have never had any issue of disrespect or misbehavior. Now on occasion someone will turn their camera off and I have to ask them to turn it back on- but I always give them a days advance so they know that breakout rooms will be assigned.

Sometimes- I let Zoom assign them- just to stir things up. But most days I have them in preassigned groups and as they sign in to Zoom I start sorting them- while they are completing the warm up for the day. So no down time. It is definitely a timing thing. But with a few hiccups at the beginning- I now have this down pretty good.

Use breakout rooms if you can. They are a fantastic way to get kids interacting on-line. Plus you can use them for one-one meetings, small group gatherings for project check-ins and my favorite- 1-minute check-in's. 1 with every student every week. Just as I do in person with my face to face students. If you have purpose and problem-solving, a fun, engaging interactive assignment- they will thrive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

B.B.'s, Bunnies, and Rogue Tortillas

Schools don't have signs "122 days since our last incident" We have strange happenings every day.Some little, unnoticeable to ...