Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Nomadic, Sporadic, Somatic (288)

 Feeling alone, yet immersed into the realm of Zoom. Quiet room. A bit of loom, as I await the inbound voices about to disrupt the slow, fizzle of virtual teaching. I appreciate it, yet dread it. I am a teacher, one who moves about, exaggerates with gestures and posture- and for half my school day, I am constrained into a screen no bigger than a window. A small one at that- I could never climb out of it into a larger landscape.

It is a nomadic existence mingled in with a Viking like determination. I will get there, I will traverse even the most turbulent of seas, to land upon the shores of engagement. Even if my facial expressions have been masked within a tiny box, on a tiny screen. Yet, I dance in my seat, creating a sense of action, within homes far from my reach and approach.

I try desperately to draw them in, lure them in- remind them it is not merely a multi-box assemblage but a classroom. We are separated, arrival sporadic- voices loud or muffled within the larger din of learning. Smaller groups can assemble- within a room, even more isolated. Yet, the sporadic nature can become more focused, more meaningful- if we plan, if we organize.

My world is somatic, affecting me in a way opposing a calm mind and spirit- but I seize the opportunity daily to reverse the slippage- to kick aside the covered layer of my path. I seek the less travelled because it allows me to stay free. I plan as a team, yet I uniquely create my domain, my garden and as they enter, in groups and an eventual trickle- my nomadic adventure stabilizes and my clarity fuses with the opportunity of a good day.

I remain hopeful and with that hope comes relationships. This my cherished existence. This my reason. My grade. My dream. My tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

B.B.'s, Bunnies, and Rogue Tortillas

Schools don't have signs "122 days since our last incident" We have strange happenings every day.Some little, unnoticeable to ...