Saturday, September 5, 2020

Rest Assured Today is a Better Day (249)

 Weeks a go we started a new school year. We gussied up our classrooms, we dressed up nice. Most of us only got to see our students through Zoom for the first few weeks. But many had students arrive by buses and cars, some on foot, eager to start learning. My room was ready- desks 6 feet apart, social distancing on my mind. But, I had to wait three weeks to get some students in front on me.

Hand-sanitizer stations in place, water bottle fillers replacing, good old fashioned bubblers/drinking fountains. Giant orange arrows pointing the way to walk. It is a different feel for sure. My room feels the same, for the most part. But, the hallways and transfer spots feel different. Staged for more predictability. My school feels like a mix of personal spaces assembled within a larger public, controlled, sterile place. 

The smell of cleaners is prominent. Shiny surfaces dripping with disinfectant. The odor is palpable- and students haven't even entered the building yet. Caution is the mood. Distancing the tone. A nervous vibe as we make our way down silent corridors, masks hiding our concern. Smiling is difficult to evoke under cloth. Sometimes it feels there is a bigger distance from the masks than the six feet.

But, we show up daily, turn on our screens and smile. These virtual classes are mask less in our empty, energy-less classrooms. It's draining. And most of us in our building at least, are eagerly awaiting some energy- some laughter, some spirit. Come Tuesday 600 of our 1800 students are returning to in person learning. I for one am excited.

I will have 3 classes of in face students and 3 still virtual- so my day will be bouncing back from Zoom to face 2 face. A change I am excited about. Masks required, no lockers, staggered bell schedule for fewer kids in the hallways. We are taking every precaution. Hand-sanitizer before class, washing desks down with wipes at the end. 

I think it is going to be o'kay. I need to believe that. We are prepared.....and in two days.... here they come.


No comments:

Post a Comment

B.B.'s, Bunnies, and Rogue Tortillas

Schools don't have signs "122 days since our last incident" We have strange happenings every day.Some little, unnoticeable to ...