Saturday, July 25, 2020

Overloaded with New Technology, Me Too (207)

Like most educators, I too have been learning a lot of new strategies, tools, and applications. I just jumped into the deep end and took courses on every App or tech you can imagine. Then I read through my handy-dandy notebook (I am a fierce note-taker) and studied. This was even before we were told a few days a go of our three-week virtual beginning to our school year.

I am a err on the side of caution person. Even if I do not end up needing it- I investigate it. I take a quick glance, decide quickly it is not for me, or my interest gets peaked and I settle in for an hour or two in a course. I have done a lot of both since March, let me tell you. Then, I had overflowing pages and a bit of anxiety as I realized- I had so many options- where to go from here.

So, I prioritized, I wrote some 5E lessons incorporating some of the technology- I tweaked, adjusted, and reformatted. After that, I realized something. Not every App is for me. Some are clunky. Some do not integrate with Canvas LMS, our district on-line learning platform. Some are not purposeful, fun maybe a bit engaging, but not productive.

They started falling of my list one by one. I honed it down to those that met these requirements:

1- Easy for me to use
2-Easy for my students to use
3-Offered a free, useful version (or my district purchased)
4-Versatile
5-Allows students to create, display and share their work (video or audio)
6-Connects to science, mindfulness or SEL (curriculum)
7-Allows students to build folders, portfolios, or pages of their work
8-It did not merely replace an app/tool I already used- but its enhanced learning, it offered something creative and new that students could not find somewhere else
9-Integrates with Canvas LMS (or compliments it, if it doesn't)
10-If Canvas offered something similar (I chose Canvas, it is already built into student access)

So, I set out with this list and visited all of the apps and on-line tools I discovered and jotted down information about over the summer. I guess it all comes down to three main things:

1-Personal Comfort Level- choice
2- What you need from the app- purpose
3-Accessibility - ease of use and access

So, I set out with a list of tools and apps and started eliminating them. Some had great free versions but to go premium was expensive and well, not worth it. Many of the tools were similar in function and purpose. Some had free versions that were great but hard to maneuver through- you had to read a to do brochure before it made sense. I eliminated those easily.

I am a simple and sophisticated app lover. I love bells and whistles, if they are worthwhile and easy to use. I love options. Lots of ways to change and edit information. Add pictures, music, videos with ease. Share with my students easily. Once I find it hard to create within its borders- I tune out. I know my students will too. These days of virtual learning- simple is best.

Here are my favorites- the ones I will be incorporating into my virtual classroom and then into my classroom routine. Again, this is based on my preference: I am not a super tech savvy person. I prefer digits over digital- but technology is here to stay and thus- I must acquire and utilize it in my classroom. If you are an expert at all thing’s technology, I am sure your preferences are different from mine.

FlipGrid- Why I love FlipGrid? I love the ease of setting up classroom grids. I love that you can easily duplicate grids, so you can copy and paste them into other classes. I love that you can add podcasts, videos, selfies etc. It is easy to use and it feels comfortable. Nothing scary about it. 

I think the Mix Tapes creation is so cool- a fun way to share student work. I love the Disco Library of other FlipGrids you can import and edit. I know there are other apps/tools that do the same thing for the most part- but I tried them. I prefer FlipGrid for its ease; Get the link, share the link and students can work through your grid without confusion.

Bulb- There are many on-line portfolio creation apps. To minimize printing and folders in my classroom, I am converting to student virtual portfolios. Bulb has a lot of options, easy to use and easily accessible.

Why I love Bulb? I must admit having it integrated into Canvas LMS was the icing on the cake. But the design is awesome too. Easy to add files. Simple instructions and students can edit and make their portfolio very personal and unique. Plus, all of their courses will be present on one screen and as teachers we can see their portfolios for all of their classes.

This allows me to see if any challenges a student might be having in my class, are similar to those they are facing in other classes. Just another way to help make sure I can help my students succeed.

Remind- Yes, Canvas LMS had announcements. Yes, there is email, phone calls. But I have been using REMIND for years. I absolutely rely on it for Quiz Bowl as well as my classes. There were three things I hated about the previous version though:

1-Uploading documents
2-Word count
3-Class size allowed

Uploading documents did not always work. Plus, it counted into your word allotment and so I was constantly having to send multiple messages. It is annoying to hear multiple pings. I know, every time someone responds I heard a ping. You can mute the ping, but often I was waiting for a quick response.

The word count was low, and I never could quite get what I wanted to say out in one post. Now it is extended, and I am not sure I could ever fill it. Plus, its easy to upload pictures and documents attached to the post. Plus, now I am not limited to just 100 students total. I can have multiple classes, with 30 + in each.

I use REMIND because parents sign up as well as students. It is on their phones, so they do not have to check email, voicemail, or Canvas for messages. Parents love to get a quick reminder as much as students do. I keep it purposeful and productive. But, for Quiz Bowl I use it to check in with teams and let parents know schedule changes etc. It is a fantastic tool.

Zoom- We all know Zoom. I did not used to love Zoom. In fact, in March when all of our virtual learning began, I refused to use it. It felt unwieldy, complicated in the sense of too many faces (Brady Bunch style) and too many ways for kids to get off task. Not until I taught an Elementary STEM and a Junior High STEM camp over the summer- did I learn to appreciate its versatility.

Why I love Zoom now? Now I know how to use it. Share screen, mute voices, use it with other apps. I am so familiar with it now, as most students are- it makes sense to use what they know. Use it for quick lessons, then let them venture off to Canvas for FlipGrid and Bulb. A face-to-face aspect of learning. I will use it for 1-minute check-ins and mindfulness lessons.

Having said that….

Canvas LMS has a conference option much like Zoom. I may be using that more often because it signs students in with their school ID and name so there is better tracking capabilities. But if that is not working for some reason. Zoom will be my go-to group meeting place.

My favorite Science apps: Amoeba Sisters, Newsela, Gizmos, HHMI Interactive

My favorite mindfulness apps: Happify and Positive Psychology

I only have a few that I will be using in my classroom because, it is important to keep it consistent from day one- keep it simple and stream-lined, purposeful, and easy to use. These on-line tools: FlipGrid, Bulb, Remind and Zoom are the ones I find to match most of my criteria. You might prefer others. I just wanted to share; in case you needed some ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mean Girls and Bully Pulpits (Seeing the Truth about School Dynamics)

I've been a teacher for a long time. Let's just say over two decades. In that time I've been a certified educator at a mere 4 sc...