Friday, July 17, 2020

Differentiation, Design and Best Practices for Classroom Learning (199)

There are many ways as teachers that we differentiate in our classrooms. But, now that many of us are continuing or venturing out for the first time in a digital learning environment- there are a few things we need to consider. We need to continue to differentiate, even more so. We need to provide strong, engaging, balanced learning environments where students can excel and grow as if they were in a brick and mortar arena.

This sounds almost impossible and in many ways, it will be extremely difficult: students need to be with their peers, they need the socialization of face-to-face interaction. Students need eye contact, and physical proximity of a teacher: this keeps them focused, able to have the comfort of a facilitator and the pressure of staying on task. How can we do this virtually?

As we are all trying to plan and design these next few weeks before we start the school year, here are a few strategies I have been using to guide best practice and help me set the foundation of any virtual learning that might take place. They are good practices for both virtual and brick and mortar classrooms.

1.    To get to know my students quickly I will -Pre-assess students at the outset of the year to begin understanding their interests, preferred ways of learning, and fundamental skills. The more they share, the better I can design lessons. How will I do this: teacher-made surveys on interest, learning preferences, reading comprehension checks, 1-minute check ins and morning meetings.
2.    To determine the pace and if I need to compact for certain students, I will pre-assess at the outset of each unit to determine what students know and understand. If they show a deep understanding, maybe I will want to compact them out and let them do a design project instead.
3.    On Zoom or in the classroom- meeting with small groups in class is a powerful strategy. This way students will not get lost in the larger group. Zoom can be intimidating. Also, it is the number one way I build relationships with students. Individual and small group interactions. 1 minute check ins.
4.   I need to use multiple presentation/teaching modes. Especially with distance learning. I have to find new ways of engaging, but also remain familiar and comfortable for students. Too much new technology will be overwhelming, but knowing my students will let me know when I need to introduce new routines and new modes of teaching.
5.    Use differentiated homework as well as differentiated classwork. Differentiated homework can provide a great opportunity for students to "work backwards" to revisit skills they found challenging, to extend content to challenge my advanced learners, and to make connections of cross-curricular content to meet my student interests. I do not want my students to have busy work- but 'business' work. Work that is both purposeful and productive.
6.    Encourage learning and demonstration of knowledge in varied ways. Some students demonstrate learning better if they can make oral presentations of what they have learned. Like podcasts. Others prefer it if they can use visual modes of presentation. Like stop motion videos or quick video clips of themselves performing a task or lab activity. Some will work better alone, some are happier when they work with peers. They need to collaborate at some point -but options for going solo really helps a lot of students feel like they are in control of their learning and in a virtual classroom- this will be key.

As I am navigating our district platform, our school design, and my requirements for school this fall, there are some things I know I need to consider, as I put pen to paper, or keystroke to screen. But, I personally prefer to hand-write out my lesson plans, this makes it more tangible, tactile, visual for me. I have a pencil and a template and erase, write, erase. This makes it feel like a process to me, it is the Dyslexia/ADD in me. I need to see my words unfold on paper.

So, as I am writing my lesson plan templates out- my outlines, I noticed that the six strategies above were in my mind. They are guiding me as I flesh out my unit and weekly plans. 

I hope they spark an idea in your head, that they are gentle reminders of the scope of complexity coming our way, but that they will also be sign posts on your journey to create fantastic lessons for your students. As well as keeping you sane in this uncertain vortex of education.

Three mantras I repeat everyday as I lesson plan and get my mindset into the upcoming school year-
1-    Differentiate and Contemplate, how do I like to learn on-line? What do I find tedious and boring in on-line courses? How can I be better?
2-    Find something new to read, listen to, participate in about education every day. Small or extensive- commit to the growth.
3-    Integrate mindfulness into every lesson. If you keep that in mind, stay aware of the purpose, design, outcome/goal- the lessons will unfold naturally and they will be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

B.B.'s, Bunnies, and Rogue Tortillas

Schools don't have signs "122 days since our last incident" We have strange happenings every day.Some little, unnoticeable to ...