Thursday, July 9, 2020

Be the Pivot, Own the Shift (191)

Choice. I think students want choice, parents want choice and teachers want choice. In classroom or virtual learning. Brick and mortar or Zoom. Options to be at home or in the building. How are we going to be teaching? How are we going to be running daily operations? How are we going to make sure students, faculty and teachers are safe? So many questions, opinions, decisions unfolding.

I am uneasy and I am uncertain of how things will unfold. I want to be in my classroom, I want to be safe. I want to provide the best education I can to my students. I want the option to be in a room full of eager minds all the while, staying proactive and protected. Things change on a daily basis and as educators we are all feeling the frustration and unsettled energy swirling about us.

Teaching two science summer camps on Zoom within the last month has really reengaged my mind. I have enjoyed the opportunity to STEAM design with my students and watch them build and tryout their inventions. It has been really cool to see them design and tinker and then redesign. Having all of their supplies delivered to them made both camps really engaging and fun.

But, it has also reminded me how much I yearn to be back in a brick and mortar setting with my students. Watching them in person - create with our makerspace, collaborate and share ideas and have face to face conversations. I really miss it and I am happy we will be getting the opportunity to do so in the fall. How often and what size group are to be determined, but we know that parents and students have a choice. That is empowering.

Teachers will in a lot of cases have a choice. In some however, they won't. But, I do hope if teachers want to teach on-line they will be able to. At this point we all have to be the pivot, remain flexible and adjust. There will be so many changes this year. Mindset is going to be our salvation as educators. If we solve problems and work together, I know we will come together and make this work. That is what we do- right?

We solve, we might complain, but we fix issues. We solve problems. We design and implement lessons and strategies that are best for our students. We own the shift. We adjust and we believe. This is what is going to keep us going this next school year, within the upheaval and pivots- we will own the shift. We will get through this- we just need to stay positive. Weary maybe, frustrated at times, worried and eager- but never complacent. Always vigilant. Always open-minded.

We are educators- we can do this!


No comments:

Post a Comment

B.B.'s, Bunnies, and Rogue Tortillas

Schools don't have signs "122 days since our last incident" We have strange happenings every day.Some little, unnoticeable to ...