Monday, April 6, 2020

Imagine Yourself at Disneyland- The Happiest Place on Earth (97)

I grew up in southern California. Most of my life anyway. I visited Disneyland many times- long before California Theme Park, among others, arrived on the scene. It was just one park and it was magnificent.

It was the perfect place for a first date- there were places where you could get scared and need reassurance. There was a romantic train ride or tasty restaurants. There were fun rides that exhilarated, even the grumpiest of guests. Whether they spun around, climbed great heights, or simply raced you around a track- each held a certain charm.

There were different 'lands'. Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, Adventureland, Frontierland, and Main Street. Just to name a few. Each a gloriously themed meeting place where restaurants, shops and amusement rides, took you on a journey. It was sheer delight. It still is for many, I am sure. I haven't gone in a long time.

My favorite was always Tomorrowland, with the ride Space Mountain. I loved the suspense of the darkness and speed. Taking off in a rocket car. It was marvelous. One of the fastest rides in the park.

Then there was the humor of the Jungle Cruise guides. The spookiness of the Haunted Mansion. The addictive song of Pirates of the Caribbean. It was good times indeed.

When you needed to relax you could take a ride on the monorail or across the park in an overhead tram. The options were unlimited. Every sweet treat imaginable lured you into the candy shops. Stuffed animals, snow globes and trinkets caught your eye, as you walked down every avenue.


There was a paddle wheel boat. An electrical parade and fireworks display in the evenings. Plus a huge white mountain with a roller-coaster inside it, called the Matterhorn. At night tinker bell came down a zip line, towards the mountain, waving at us, reminding us to dream.


It was so memorable- I can close my eyes and smell the popcorn as I write this. I can hear the wheels screeching on the rides, the laughter of families. I can feel the cool California breeze. It's still magical.

I haven't been there for twenty years. I am sure it has changed tremendously. But my memory of it, will always be that of my childhood eyes and senses and my teenage years with friends.


It has been closed during this time. The park is quiet. The amusement is on hold. There are only three other times in history, it has been closed- When JFK was assassinated, the Northridge Earthquake in 1994 and 9/11.

This closure really hits home. The silence I can actually imagine, even though I am not there. The situation we are in is so big. So global and impactful. It is going to be remembered for a long time to come.

I think we need to close our eyes more often and remember places, like this, that make us feel happy and content. Places like Disneyland. On my wall is an original Disneyland ticket book from my youth. Still full of tickets. Back then we had to use different tickets for different rides- now its just the price of admission. As a teenager my price of admission kept me there all day and night- until the gates closed.

I wish I could go there right now. Hear the marching band, as they march down main street, eat giant pink mounds of cotton candy, buy a Mickey Mouse shaped balloon. Nostalgic overload. So instead of reading the news- I choose to close my eyes and remember. Take a literal trip down memory lane.

It feels like all of the rides are combined into one right now. The juxtaposition is palpable. I feel the pull to my memory and a tug to the present uncertainty. At least if I lean back- I can feel safe and secure for awhile.

Then- Scary heights of a roller-coaster just before the drop. Dark tunnels and corridors. Twists and turns, fast spinning wheels, making me discombobulated. I am feeling very much as if the ground has dropped out, from underneath me.


But, I have to stay focused. I have to find something positive to latch on to or I will spiral out. Caramel corn and giggles. Looking up to a cloudless sky- looking at a map and deciding where to go next. I choose memory lane.



So find your "Happiest Place on Earth."- close your eyes, take a deep breath, and go there every now and again. I promise you, it will make you feel better.



No comments:

Post a Comment

B.B.'s, Bunnies, and Rogue Tortillas

Schools don't have signs "122 days since our last incident" We have strange happenings every day.Some little, unnoticeable to ...