Monday, April 20, 2020

Honestly, This Sucks- Why Not A Scavenger Hunt? (111)

Let's face it- there is nothing great about distance learning. I guess some teachers may be absolutely loving it. But as for me, and most of my friends, we are not. There is nothing fun about it. I want to be in my classroom, interacting and hearing the din of laughter and learning.

Let's face it- there are a lot of articles, blog posts, podcasts and the like, on this subject. This is just another one. I am sure it won't even make a impact on most people. I guess I am not trying to. Just want to write and get this out there. I do not need a bunch more things thrown at me- that I don't have time to do.

Honestly, I am twice as consumed by school than I have ever been before- and not in a good way. Just tedious troubleshooting, management of grades and trying to make the preFAB required lessons somewhat palatable.  I don't feel like a teacher. I feel like a machine just packaging up ready made materials into some sort of learning.

If I could design all new lessons I would. But, I can't. So- what to do, what to do. Add some layers to them to make them more active. That I can do. Send them outside to observe succession and weathering, erosion and deposition in their yards. That I can do.

I think mindfulness prompts and class discussion boards (live) are fun. I do those. We talk a lot about staying mindful and active. Video clips, interactives and the like.

Those can be done on-line, sure. But, not everyone has internet or enough devices to go around. Going outside is free- accessible (the yard) although, yes- some live in apartments so no yard. So what to do, what to do.

Hurdles. Yes.

But a scavenger hunt is doable. Not ideal. Having them together in a classroom is much more communal, productive and engaging. But again, can't be done. Zoom meetings- well, I don't find them engaging- they are just lectures. So I tend not to do them.

Get a student up away from a device. Using their imagination. That is the best I can do. I can't make them do it- no. I can't make them do anything. BUT, I can sell it and make it sound like a game. Get them interested.

Scavenger hunts can be about literally anything. Have them take a picture, draw a picture. Have them interview a family member. The sky is the limit.

Just a thought...just being honest here. I absolutely hate this distance learning. No one is learning. It is just a way to get from A to B. With maybe some content and absorption a long the way.

I am honest with myself- I am not perfect, I am a better teacher in my classroom. Nothing I do or say will get them engaged as if I was there in person. All I can do is my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

B.B.'s, Bunnies, and Rogue Tortillas

Schools don't have signs "122 days since our last incident" We have strange happenings every day.Some little, unnoticeable to ...