Friday, March 27, 2020

There is a Lot of Kindness Too (87)

There is so much talk of irrational behavior, overload and frustration. But there is also a lot of kindness out there. A lot of people volunteering, donating supplies and sending out positive communication.

Many shelves might be empty in retail stores but people are still looking out for one another.

Here are a few positive stories from my son- who four days a week is working at a grocery store.

Yesterday he was bagging groceries for a Vietnam Vet- who after my son helped him to his car and unloaded his groceries for him, said to him- "Thank you for your service." my son said, "What?, Not at all." He smiled at the man and replied. "Thank you for YOUR service. I am just bagging groceries." The man replied- "You are giving back to the community, it is service. Thank you for coming to work and helping us." He tipped him a dollar. My son didn't wan't to take it but he said, "Please, for me." So he did.

My son said he teared up. He had never thought of it as service, just a job.

My son was walking through the store after his break. They were unloading a shipment of paper products. A man walked up to him and said "I see there is paper products, finally." My son replied, yup. The man said "Aren't you going to take some? He said I don't have enough money. It's a luxury item."

The man came up to him a few minutes later, after my son had returned to work. "You deserve a luxury, Thank you for coming to work and helping us." He handed him a 12 pack of toilet paper- receipt included. My son was flabbergasted. "Thank you so much." He replied "It's the simple acts of kindness that matter. You deserve an act of kindness."

So amidst the uncertainty and I must admit a bit of rudeness and self-preservation- there is kindness and gratitude. Every act of mindfulness and kindness matters, like I said in my post yesterday. Here are just two examples.

No comments:

Post a Comment

B.B.'s, Bunnies, and Rogue Tortillas

Schools don't have signs "122 days since our last incident" We have strange happenings every day.Some little, unnoticeable to ...