Wednesday, March 4, 2020

If Nobody Speaks of It- Then What? (64)

At the bottom of my week's plummet, apparently rests a trampoline, because I flew back up quickly. I never even had time to pause and reflect. I was back in the air- searching for an alternative hobby. I hate heights- I like my feet firmly on terra firma. So being sprung back up rapidly- it gave me a jolt. It felt like I lost time. I was inquisitive at this new arrangement, puzzled in fact. ‘So,” I said aloud to the universe, ‘Is this how it’s going to be from now on? Let my mind rest for goodness sake.’ I can't continue in this- up, down, up, down- endless bounce ahead. framework.

Before the plummet, it felt temporarily, like I had won the battle. The fatigue siege. The incoming combatants of hyperactivity, snark and restlessness crept in the lead, however. I started to succumb to the barrage of questions, din of spring break brain, and endless rotation of here, there and sleep. But, my mindfulness swung high and hit frustration, out over the bleachers. I was elated, eager, engaged in interaction and sound advice. For a few hours at least.

Trampolines have a funny way of evening out the energy and becoming deadened. The springs taut waiting for rebound. Pep, recoil, pep, recoil. But, like many a rider of elasticity, we often fall off into the hardness of reality. If nobody speaks of it, the thud- did it really happen? We often gloss over the bruise and jump right back on. Some of us fearless. Others hesitant. But, we get back on.

I generally wade through the current, swimming upriver, I take on a lot. Two jobs and coaching quiz bowl. Yet, daily my alchemizing skills are generally on point. I sense the shark trailing behind me, but I have enough chum, to throw it off my scent. I am a master at misdirection. I make mistakes, I have slips of the tongue, I lose interest in what I'm doing and then remember- "Oh yeah, I have a class in front of me right now." I get distracted and ambivalent- do you?

These are the things we don't talk about- nobody speaks of. We mention our successes, we discuss and accept our failures or blunders but what about our ambivalence? What about those moments, in our heads, at least, that we make judgments, we curse the world and the horse it road in on? These inner monologues, we rarely share because we are embarrassed- horrified sometimes, at what actually goes through our minds. If nobody speaks of them, are we forgiven?

We tend to keep these indiscretions to ourselves, rightfully so. If we blurted out every disconcerting idea or evil thought- we would be institutionalized. But, I was thinking today, if we don’t face them ourselves, listen to our inner dialogue, we will never grow as people. It is one thing NOT to say mean things- it is quite another to NOT think them for very long. We will think them. But we have to let them go and analyze why we had them in the first place.

If nobody speaks of these things, will we ever truly understand the atrocities of mankind. Will we ever face our demons? Will we ever accept our absurd, calamity of a thought process? It is built on experience and perception. It is solidified with practice and ambivalence. But, it is also renovated and refurbished, to our specifications. We just need to be aware of any shoddy craftsmanship.- and have a definite blue-print to correct it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

B.B.'s, Bunnies, and Rogue Tortillas

Schools don't have signs "122 days since our last incident" We have strange happenings every day.Some little, unnoticeable to ...